5 Right Attitudes In Conquering PDA’s Challenges Now:
What’s truly the key to success? Right Attitude. Our attitude defines who we are as a person and how we look at things. Do we look at things glass half full or glass half empty? Those who have successfully rose from their darkest hours will always tell you that in the midst of chaos there’s always an opportunity and how you react to it that makes a difference.
In the midst of challenges we face in our profession, isn’t it much better to look at it as a chance to be able to change for the better rather than just simply look at it as chaos? Isn’t this the best time to take courageous steps to rise above from the mistakes of the pasts and react to it as part of a learning experience to improve and be greater?
I humbly believe we can emulate 5 simple attitudes , so, we can all rise above the challenges we are in now.
(1) Learn to accept and adapt to change tempered with the wisdom of the past. We can’t simply keep doing the same things but expect a different result. We need to create proactive and progressive solutions to our problems not what was done before. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean we will totally forget the past but just only remember its teachings so we can safeguard our good changes against further pillage by those whose intentions are for selfish reasons.
(2) Learn to discern whom and what to believe. We are constantly manipulated and incited by assumptions and not facts to say and do things that are unbecoming of a professional or even as a decent person. Let’s not go with the flow but be independent thinkers. Let’s remember don’t do unto others what you don’t want others to do unto you. As we are all fallible human beings and there’s no exception to this rule. So, let’s not render harsh judgements on things we don’t personally know. Always remember there are two sides in a coin, their truth and the real truth.
(3) Let’s protect our individual freedom to choose. We already have enough laws, rules and regulations to last us a lifetime. And, more often than not they are established to control our freedom beyond what’s necessary. Freedom does come with responsibility but when it is done as an excuse to control for the benefit of the few, we have to say no.
(4) Be alert on who will handle the valuable tools of our trade they are the ideal means to benefit a few and not all of us. The CPD (Continuing Professional Development), the MRA (Mutual Recognition Agreement, Ethics Committee, PDA & Chapter Elections, CBL & By-Laws, and ISO Certifications.
(5) Improve your knowledge in all areas. Contrary to the common belief, education is not only confined in what we learn from our schools. The richest and most successful people in this world that affect the way we basically live are not college graduates. Actually, curriculum in our dental schools are as jurassic as I am or even more. Attend formal education if you want unquestionable credibility but do not limit yourself within there. Why? Because again contrary to common beliefs attending product presentations makes you a smart buyer. This is how one should decide what to buy. Check all its similar competitors before choosing one. You get to know what is better for you. Preceptorships? Of course, because this will update your knowledge from Dentists who actually have practices and updated knowledge from the other side of the globe. Just keep on attending seminars regardless of CPD. Majority of successful Dentists I know who are truly earning are progressive thinkers and have a quench for knowledge.
In our profession we often hear the word “evidence base” and “predictability” but do we ever wonder when, where and how it really started so we can now all say it is evidenced base and predictable treatment? Any principles starts with a theory. And, every theory starts from the imagination of its author. And, every author requires freedom to think and choose. So, why allow institutions and organizations to control and regulate our capacity to explore and create more evidence base and predictable treatments and decision making that can essentially provide even better quality of care to our patients than we have now? As they say knowledge can get you there but imagination can get you everywhere. Whatever is happening now, just have positive involvement because negative one begets negative effect in your profession and in your life in the end.
[dvk_social_sharing] [et_bloom_inline optin_id="optin_1"]